Practice Areas > Hedge Funds
We assist emerging and seasoned hedge fund managers with all aspects of the fund formation process, from pre-launch structuring of hedge funds to post-launch regulatory matters. Our end-to-end hedge fund legal services include:
- Advising managers regarding overall fund structure, including liquidity provisions, manager compensation, appropriate risk disclosures, etc.
- Working with managers to accurately describe hedge fund strategies and asset classes, including long-short equity, fixed-income, multi-strategy, quantitative, sector-specific and funds-of-funds
- Preparing customized fund offering documents, including a private placement memorandum, a limited partnership agreement / operating agreement and subscription documents for individual and institutional investors
- Structuring the management company that will serve as the fund manager and drafting the company’s operating agreement
- Helping the manager navigate its initial compliance obligations, including registering the manager as an investment adviser / exempt reporting adviser at the federal and state levels
- Preparing required regulatory filings on behalf of the manager and the fund, including entity formation filings, SEC Form D filings and state “blue sky” notices
- Assisting with selecting and negotiating agreements with other service providers for hedge funds, including third-party administrators, auditors, brokers and custodians
- Drafting investor side letter agreements, seed capital arrangements and other investor negotiations
- Advising managers regarding the use of broker-dealers and finders in connection with capital raising and negotiating third-party marketing agreements
- Handling ongoing compliance and regulatory matters, including preparing and filing Form D annual amendments, “blue sky” renewal filings, and Form ADV annual updating amendments, as well as reviewing and updating the fund’s offering documents to address recent changes to rules and regulations at the federal and state levels
In addition to serving as experienced legal counsel, we pride ourselves in serving as a trusted business adviser to the managers and the hedge funds that we counsel. Launching an investment fund is an entrepreneurial venture above all else, and it is imperative to hire counsel that understands firsthand what goes into creating and running a successful business.
If you’re thinking about how to start a hedge fund, reach out to us. Start speaking to an experienced legal counsel on what you need to start your investment fund today. If you have any questions regarding our hedge fund formation services and would like to schedule a free consultation, please do not hesitate to contact us.